A new construction home has a polished look and feel to it when you are touring around the newly drywalled rooms for the first time. Everything is brand-new, clean and fresh like a blank canvas. Often times, unless you are working on a custom built, new construction homes are in a development, community or street with other similar models. Though the exterior core of your new construction may have to look similar to your neighbors, the details and the design of the interior can be unique to you.
1. Paint or Upgrade your Front Door. As guests walk up to your house your front door is the first impression they have of your home. It should be welcoming, inviting…overall it should reflect YOU! Unfortunately, most new construction homes have standard fiberglass exterior doors in neutral colors. If your development allows, I suggest painting or changing your front door to a color and style that not only elevates your curb appeal and compliments the architecture of the house but also brings out your personality.
2. Upgrade your Fixtures. Unless you are building a custom home where you can specify all the fixtures and finishes, I suggest upgrading your builder grade fixtures (such as your light fixtures, door hardware, etc.) to your personal style. This can be overwhelming but doesn’t have to be done all at once. My advice is to focus on one room at a time, this will make each room feel complete.
3. Add Architectural Features. Architectural features such as fireplaces, molding, ceiling finishes, wall applications can all take your simple blank canvas and transform it to your personal oasis. The key is to know what features to add and where.
4. Paint your Walls. Painting your walls is the least expensive way to transform a new construction home. If you are purchasing your home while it is under construction some builders are willing to paint using your specified colors instead of the standard flat off-white or beige throughout. This will allow you to move into a freshly painted house that you don’t have to worry about.
5. Add Wallpaper. Add texture, pattern, color, and design to your space by incorporating a wallpaper that compliments the overall decor of your home. Wallpaper is a great way to add your personal style to your new construction. Depending on your design you can use it on an accent wall, in the hallway, on the ceiling, or in a small room. The possibilities are endless.
Do you live in a new construction home? What are some personal changes you made or would like to make to your blank canvas? Share in the comments below!
À la prochaine,